Statewide Volunteer Firefighter Retirement Plan
The Statewide Volunteer Firefighter Retirement Plan is governed by PERA’s Board of Trustees. The policy-making, management, and administrative functions related to the plan are vested in the board of trustees and the executive director of PERA.
Their duties, authorities, and responsibilities are described in Minnesota Statutes Chapter 353.03. Fiducuiary activities of the plan must be consistent with Minnesota Statutes governing public pensions.
Chapter 353G provides for an Advisory Board made up of representatives from townships, cities, fire chiefs and volunteer firefighters. The advisory board is expected to provide advice and guidance to PERA’s Board of Trustees about the retirement coverage needs of volunteer firefighters.
The advisory board consists of eight members:
- One representative from townships, appointed by the Minnesota Association of Townships
- Two representatives from Minnesota cities, appointed by the League of Minnesota Cities
- One fire chief, appointed by the Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Association
- One volunteer firefighter, covered by the lump-sum retirement, appointed by the Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Association
- One volunteer firefighter, covered by the monthly benefit retirement, appointed by the Minnesota State Fire Chiefs Association
- One volunteer firefighter, appointed by the Minnesota State Fire Departments Association
- One representative of the State Auditors Office, designated by the state auditor
Terms on the advisory board are three years, other than the State Auditor representative which is determined by the State Auditor.
Advisory board meetings are generally held as the need arises. Meetings are announced at least 10 days prior to the scheduled date.
Advisory Board Members
Dan Anderson, Monthly Benefit, Firefighter Representative
Sam Hansen, City Representative
Eric Hedtke, Township Representative
Rose Hennessy-Allen, State Auditor’s Office
John King, Lump-Sum, Firefighter Representative
Calvin Larson, City Representative
Jeff Sanborn, Fire Chief Representative
Jay Wood, Lump-Sum, Firefighter Representative
Each time the Advisory Board meets, topics are logged to summarize general discussions. These minutes are available for all plan participants to read and review.